A healing gift

Physical therapist Barbara Bour’s first lesson in caring for someone withcancer came more than 20 years ago, when her daughter developed leukemia right before starting kindergarten. Now Bour, (pictured here with patient Tyler Kleine)a physical therapist for the UF Health Cancer Center and a faculty member in the College of Public Health and Health Professions, devotes much of her physical therapy practice to helping other children with cancer. To help, Stop! Children’s Cancer recently donated $1,500 to the Cancer Center’s physical therapy clinic to help Bour purchase items she needs to help young cancer patients. Here, Bour answers a couple of questions about the award and what it means for the patients she serves.
 A healing gift
Q. What does this donation from Stop! Children’s Cancer mean for you and your patients? 

A. Stop! Children’s Cancer emailed me to tell me that they had decided to give me $1,500 toward clinic needs and did so in honor of my daughter and I, which was very special to me. All equipment that the clinic uses has been provided by private donations so any donated money is used to supplement that equipment. The tools that I use are mostly aimed at making the PT treatment fun and motivating for the kids. My goal is for them to have fun while they are exercising.

Q. Why do you do what you do?

A. I love what I do because the children have such wonderful spirit. I am blessed by the job that I have. I continued working with children while my daughter was going through her cancer treatment and vowed that I would not be able to work with children who had cancer because it was too emotional for me. Then fi ve years ago, I was given the opportunity to move to Gainesville and teach on the faculty at UF. I came to a place of total comfort where I could use both professional and personal knowledge to provide improved quality of life for these children who suffer not only from the diagnosis, but also from the treatment. This is a special population of children. I am blessed to meet each one. I relish in the fact that I can provide something to ease their experience or improve their quality of living. That is why I do what I do.

Upcoming Events

Oct. 4: Panera Bread Goes Pink!
On Friday, Oct. 4, 100 percent of every delicious Pink Ribbon Bagel sold in Panera’s Gainesville and Ocala cafes will benefit women’s cancer research at UF Health Cancer Center.
Oct. 12: 10 a.m. — UF Health Third Annual Pink Pumpkin Painting Party
The Pink Pumpkin Painting Party is a fun, family event designed to heighten breast cancer awareness and to honor friends and loved ones affected by breast cancer. Visit cancer.ufl .edu/pinkpumpkins for more info.
Oct. 12: 8:30 a.m. — Pink Pumpkin Fest for Breast Cancer Awareness
Pink Pumpkin Pedal-Off Charity Bike Ride Register to ride your choice of 20, 40 or 55-mile routes to raise money for breast cancer research at UF Health Cancer Center. Visit cancer.ufl .edu/pedal-off for more info
Oct. 17: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Light the Night Walk
For more information, email Debbie.Jeffrey@LLS.org or call 904-332-6414, ext. 2464. 
Share this article with others:
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • Twitter

...also in this issue

Center News

People In The News

Philanthropy